Monday, November 23, 2009

Thoughts of Thankfulness

As the day of turkey and gravy creep upon us, I'm taking some time to remember past Thanksgiving holidays.

As I started my reflection I recalled first grade...I was in Mrs. Paver's class. We spent an entire school day in November making feather headbands and indian vests out of paper grocery sacks. We ate rubbery turkey chunks, instant mashed potatoes and lumpy gravy on the pull out cafeteria tables.

I thought of spending Thanksgiving at Grandma Hintze's eating more rolls than humanly acceptable. Eating two plates, one for me and one for cousin Davie who was on his mission. So full afterwards, lying motionless on the tasseled rug below the fireplace.

Another Thanksgiving was celebrated in Hawaii. Denny's provided pancakes rather than turkey, syrup rather than gravy and eggs rather than stuffing, but with family, close friends, sand burns, jellyfish stings and lungs full of salt water, it was a Thanksgiving to remember.

All-in-all, I am thankful this time of year for many things. Family being atop the list. Thank you for the things you do, the people you are and the love you give.

Wherever you are this Thanksgiving, I hope you find yourself with bellies full and your hearts even fuller.

Warm wishes,
already tasting turkey...Hadley